Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hanford Site Tour

Today I was fortunate enough to go on a tour of the Hanford site. OMG!! What a great day! I know I am from this area, I know that the government came in and took over the town of White Bluffs and built the Hanford area, I know the purpose of the Hanford site was to produce uranium to use in the atom bomb being produced in Los Alamos, New Mexico during World War II. Past that I am not knowledgeable. What a treat it was to be able to go onto the site with the most knowledgeable Historian about the Hanford legacy (her name is Michelle, but I don't recall her last name...sorry!)

Greg, Jan, Mom, Dad, Kyle and I all signed up in like April to take part in the tour. It was scheduled to last 5 hours but because our bus decided to have transmission problems towards the end of the tour, it ended up closer to 6 1/2 hours. Still, even with the bus problem it was TOTALLY worth it!

We got to drive the "River Route", see the "F" Reactor, the "H" Reactor", the "D" Reactor, the "DR" Reactor, the "K west" Reactor, the "K east" Reactor, the "B" Reactor, the "C" Reactor and the "N" Reactor. We actually got to into the "B" Reactor....now a National Historic Site. That was FABULOUS!!

If anyone gets the opportunity to get on one of the tours, I suggest you do it!! You won't be sorry!!!

P.S. I'm going again some day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment